Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Opposing View Responce

Opposing viewpoints & your topic for Life: The Book Reflection

When I was reading these articles I found myself swaying back and forth between both of the viewpoints on how we should handle our heath care. Both of these arguments were strongly supported to me and made different points that would stand out to me and change my opinion.
Some reasons of why I would support that health care should be a fundamental right would be the fact that it morally correct and how all citizens of the United States have equal rights to certain things why not our health, and the insurance on it. One kind of extreme point that did cover the morally correct statement was the last two paragraphs of Bryan Young’s “ A Good Case for Universal Health Care” article. He covered the Bible and the Sermon on the Mount, this was mainly about how Jesus viewed what was fair and moral or not. While I was reading this article this specifically reminded me of how I would want to be treated in this situation and how horrible it would be if your didn’t have the option of health care or couldn’t pay for it.

Some quotes that really stood out to me from each article were:
A Good case for Universal..: “The total cost of this ordeal if I end up having to pay for it out of my own pocket? In excess of $25,000. But did I have a choice? No.”

Health Care is a Right…: a recent study found that medical problems contributed to 62 percent of all bankruptcies in 2007.”
Health Care as a Human Right: “The for-profit health care system in the United States severely restricts our freedom in a number of subtle and not so subtle ways. Instead of freedom there is fear.”
Some reasons why I wouldn’t support health care as a fundamental right would how its going to affect everyone’s salary afterwards and how a healthy human being could be paying for this and for someone else getting treatment. This could be good but seriously affect people’s income. Another thing would be that the doctors wouldn’t have a right to turn any patients and this will overflow the hospital and the doctors, nurses and staff. Someone who explains exactly what I was thinking was Jacob Hornberger “If you’re a doctor, then it means that you are required to serve my needs, like it or not. If I need an operation, then you cannot say “no” because that would be denying me my right to health care.” This surprised me and started to sway my opinion again.

Quotes Used:

There Isn’t a Such Thing As a Free Lumpectomy: “acknowledges, finally, that health care is a fundamental right—a human right—and not just a privilege for the most fortunate.
”Health Care is not a Right: Whereas genuine rights protect citizens from state coercion, the “right to health care” serves to justify state coercion against a particular part of the population: those who pay taxes.

I personally think that health care should be available to all especially because of the subject I chose, child arthritis. These stories and seeing what the children are going through really changed and kind of set my mind on how everyone should have that right. For example if your child who’s five years old gets hurt and you don’t have a job to help pay for any expenses, you are screwed and could be forced to file bankruptcy, and will have huge credit care payments. So this is why I chose this side of the argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment