Thursday, September 9, 2010

Icons Loop Response


Opening Paragraph:

On July 12th 1993 four journalists were killed. The four young men raced across Mogadishu, Africa to cover the bombing of what was thought to be General Aideed’s headquarters. The U.N. forces bombed the house but Aideed was not there, and instead nearly 90 men, women and children were killed in the bombing. When the journalists were taking pictures of the aftermath a horrible thing happened. All four young men were beaten, clubbed and stoned to death by an angry mob furious about the death of their friends, fathers, and brothers at the hands of U.S. and U.N. soldiers. One of these men who was massacred was Dan Eldon.

Closing Paragraph:

Learning about this war has changed my life I am always trying to help stop this war in as many ways as I can, even if it is telling someone about it. I feel that Dan Eldon has changed my life. As his inspired continuum does and will for years to come.

1. Explain why you chose this opening/closing combo.
Well I chose to write about his death in the first paragraph because it is an anecdote and it takes place in the past and it was one thing that made him famous besides his pictures and journals. The reason I wrote this as my closing paragraph is because it sums up how Dan Eldon has changed my life and how he has helped me change others lives.

2. How does it tie together your big ideas?
Well as I explained in the last question I decided to write about his past and the biggest event that happened to him first and then I wanted to end it on something positive and how he has directly affected my life and many others.

3. Explain the types of thoughts that you hope your reader has when they are done reading your work.
Well I would love for people to go and look up Invisible Children after reading my writing, another thing I would love is if they went home and researched more about Dan Eldon. These are things I feel that more people need to be aware of and I hope my essay can help raise some awareness. And some thoughts I want people to walk away with is mainly "How could I have not known about his death and who this man is?" or even "How could I have no known so much about what is going on now and what did happen in Africa?"

No comments:

Post a Comment