Thursday, April 21, 2011

Semester Two: Honors Blog

Dear Old Friend,

The times have really changed. Over here in New York all of our lives have been flipped upside down. With all of the men have gone in war, its leaving a lot of jobs open for women to take. We finally have the chance to prove that we can hold our own and support ourselves. Are you planning on getting a job? I just recently went down to the factory and finally got a job creating bullets and ammunition for the war, I’m honestly a little scared. Having this job is new for me, I’m used to only helping out at home but now I’m supporting myself and I feel like I’m really helping our country in this war. Now that I’m making the ammunition I feel needed and like I’m helping for once. There are many things I’ve been thinking about like how things will change when this war is over. Will there now be too many jobs? Or will the women be forced out of the ones we have now? Because I know that some of the other girls and I don’t want to stop helping and want to finally stop that feeling of being useless. Plus I keep seeing these posters around town with a picture of a woman on it that says, “We can do it.” This is great for us; it gives me some hope that we will finally be recognized. I hope so, and despite all of these new changes I still constantly worry and pray for my brother and husband over fighting in Germany. I also hope your husband will come home safely and unharmed.

Much Love,

Maira Vierheller

1914

No comments:

Post a Comment